My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Echo Wall at the Imperial Temple of Heaven




One of my father’s fondest memories revolved around the Echo Wall at the Imperial Temple of Heaven. It is located at the center of the north-south axis of the Temple of Heaven, and near the Imperial Vault of Heaven.

Emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties came here to offer sacrifices and pray for good harvests.

The first picture is of Dad standing in a gateway with the Imperial Vault of Heaven in the background. The building is small relative to the others near it. Go to this link for a modern, color photo of the Echo Wall along with a descriptive explanation of its special properties.

Dad and some of his fellow Marines visited this site, and I recall him telling me about how they would stand are certain places far away from each other, whisper –and hear each other clearly as if they were standing in close proximity.

No comments: