My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Monday, June 21, 2010

New York Times Oct. 7, 1945: Tianjin Surrender Signed, Japanese Officers Booed by Chinese

TIENTSIN SURRENDER SIGNED: Japanese Officers Are Booed by Chinese Crowd at Ceremony
By Wireless to the New York Times
October 7, 1945. Page 26, Col. 4.

Maj. Gen. Keller E. Rockey, commander of the United States Marines in China, formally accepted the surrender of Japanese forces in this area yesterday in behalf of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek.

In the first surrender of Japanese troops in China to an American commander, Lieut. Gen. Uchida, chief of a reported 50,588 Japanese in the area, signed the documents for the foe.

The ceremony was held on the street in front of the former French Concession municipal buildings, which now serve as marine headquarters, and tends of thousands of Chinese crowded around the roped-off area and swarmed over nearby buildings to watch. The Chinese clapped as General Uchida and his staff of six walked past a marine Color Guard to the surrender table. After the signing, as the Japanese officers walked to their waiting automobiles the crowd broke into a roar of boos and hisses.

Lieut. Gen. Liu Wen-chin, deputy commander of the Eleventh North China War Area, was ranking Chinese officer present. General Sung Lien-chung, area commander, will take the surrender of the remainder of Japanese forces in North China later at Peiping.

The Japanese advised General Rockey that Captain Tajiri, ranking Japanese naval officer in the Tientsin area, had committed hara-kiri.

The disarming of the Japanese forces in the Tientsin area by the marines will start now and the Japanese will progressively be relieved of guard and patrol duties they have been performing for the last six weeks.

5 comments:

Gail chrzan said...

My uncle william e. Johnson was with your father in the same company. I have all his pictures and my mom is alive and i would love to help you if your book has not been published or i would love to share anything with you. Uncle bill was at the signing of gen.rockey and i have his pictures. I have researching his albums for a book for mom.
Please let me kmow how to reach you.

Jeffrey Bingham Mead said...

Gail, I am delighted to hear from you! You may reach me at JeffreyBinghamMead@gmail.com

Lane said...

Mr. Bingham, thanks for your work. I wonder if you have photos or records for the reseach? My uncle Robert Lederer was a corpsman with the Marines at Guadalcanal, and was eventually an invited witness at the surrender to the Chinese in Tianjin. He is well, and living in San Francisco, just visited him this fall. Lane Lederer, musician with the Florida Orchestra in Tampa Bay.

Jeffrey Bingham Mead said...

Greetings! I would enjoy meeting your uncle. I am at my home in Honolulu until at least Spring. If I am in or can get to San Francisco I'd like to meet him. I do not have any photos of the actual surrender. What kind of records are you looking for?

Jeffrey Bingham Mead said...

To Gail Chrzn and Lane: Please contact me at my email address at JeffreyBinghamMead@gmail.com ASAP. Gail, I do not have your email address, so please send that in private to me. Thanks!

Semper Fi!

Jeffrey Bingham Mead