My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Antique Shanghai Pop Music 1930-1949

While surfing the Internet and iTunes I came across this interesting web site. It features popular music centered in Shanghai from 1930 to 1949. Go to this link.

The site's owner and developer say this: "However, antique Shanghai pop music has the appeal to a certain sentimentality that is not only understood through the context of history; it can be thought as a discontinued school of aesthetics, a lost craft. Thus, I truly hope that something new will be introduced when I expose the potential joy of the music."

Among a number of things I desire to learn more about what U.S. Marines like my father and the Chinese listened to in terms of music. I would imagine that American pop music of that time was available, or was it? Did it all originate in Shanghai for distribution across China? My research continues. In the meantime enjoy the music and historical commentary.

No comments: