My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Calling All Descendants of World War II U.S. China Marine Dads! Report for Duty!

Meet Fox Battery Radio Section, "Tung Hsien, China" (Tianjin), November 16, 1945
L to R: My father, Herbert Bingham Mead, Roberts, Van Sant, Hensley, and "Red" Roesch (holding the dog).
Are you one of their descendants? I'd like to hear from you. 

Before my father passed away in the twilight moments of his 86th birthday, Dad made a request.

His wish was that I travel to China,  return to the places where he and his fellow U.S. China Marines were stationed and places visited, and publish his photos and the stories of life in those heady days. It was not to necessarily be an exclusively military history.

The history that he wanted to be told and published was  to be a more personal one. What was life like for the American Marines? What about the Chinese, the Japanese nationals and others who found themselves in China after the end of hostilities in 1945? It was quite a quagmire. 

I started this blog site to help get that process started. I wanted those who peruse this blog site to bear witness to this historical journey. It is one that is still in progress.

Meet John Leszkeiwisz. Marco Polo Field, "Hadiman Street in Back Ground." "Peiping, China." Dated January 24, 1946.
Are you related to this man?  

Believe me when I tell you that I am enjoying this project. The purpose it has provided me is more than I have words to describe. I suppose my only frustration has been that I've not been able to spend the time needed to bring this to completion.

That's Mastrodomenico on the left, and pictured again with my father. Both are in front of the barracks.
Dated January 8, 1946


But I realize now that it is time to shift gears  -big time.

One of the wonderful blessings I've received in starting this blog site has been hearing from other descendants of other U.S. China Marines.

A number of you have contacted me via email identifying yourselves, sharing pictures, stories -and a shared desire to reconnect with our father's history as the last of the China Marines in the post-World War II era.

L to R: My father, Herbert Bingham Mead, Follen, Lt. Foote, Hensley. "Tung Hsien," (Tianjin), China.
Dated November 23, 1945
During this year's Chinese New Year celebrations I was contacted by two Chinese American friends of mine. Tyrone Liu and I attended Greenwich High School in my ancestral home town in Connecticut. Dr. Dave Wang of Laurelton Library in New York City and I have been friends for years, initially connected online via his web resource on the influence of Chinese civilization on the American Founding Fathers. 

When I mentioned that I was being contacted by other China Marine descendants both suggested that I broaden this 'My Dad the U.S. China Marine' project to include those who served with my father and others in postwar China.

In other words, why not turn this into a series? In hindsight it seems rather logical to me. 

So, starting now, I want to hear from you. I want to hear from the sons and daughters of the U.S. China Marines. A few of you have contacted me. Thank you for doing so! We need to stay in touch.

I learned that this year will be the final year of the annual reunion of American China Marines. It's true. 

Let's work together to ensure that this special history is preserved, published and perpetuated. Our Dad's would have liked that, don't you agree? 

Please contact me here at JeffreyBinghamMead@gmail.com. We've got work to do. 

Semper Fi!

Jeffrey Bingham Mead
Memorial Day, May 26, 2014





No comments: