My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Dad's Jade Broach Gift from China

At my Greenwich Library lecture on Sunday my eldest sister brought with her a most-prized she received long ago. It was this Jade broach necklace her brought back from China in the mid-1940s:




I must confess that I am not very knowledgable of Chinese charms and symbolism, at least not to the extent of ascertaining the meaning of this broach.

Jadeite is also known as imperial jade in China. Those who know more about such things told me that Jade has been available in China four thousands of years. 

What symbol is featured here? It certainly appears to be a bird. But what kind? I'm not at all certain. I suspect that it might be a heron or an egret which represent a "path" or a "way." 



No comments: