My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Time Flies in My Corner of the Historical Blog World...

Time has very quickly flown by! This past summer has been one of the busiest in recent years. As such I've been a bit neglectful of this blog and others.

I just completed the summer term at Hawaii Tokai International College where, for the past five years, I've taught speech communications in the Liberal Arts Program, and occasionally American history courses in the College Placement Program. This is my first break in five years. Though I am not a tenured faculty I suppose you might say that I will be on sabbatical until early 2012.

Recently I was invited and accepted a call to join the University of Hawaii's Kapiolani Community College Arts and Sciences. For the past three weeks I started working with a visiting group of teachers from South Korea. The subject: Teaching English in English as we do it here in the USA for ESL students. Tomorrow I attend a farewell luncheon for this group -though we will be staying in touch. I often wished that Dad was alive to be witness to this. Just imagine -with computers, WIFI and e-mail I will be staying in contact with some of the most passionate educators I've encountered -all instantaneously. What a time to be alive!

I expect to be working with other visiting groups for the next few months. I also look forward to returning to Tokai after the first of the year.

In the meantime I will be catching up on my blogging here. I was delighted to hear from another descendant of a China Marine, and I hope to hear from more of you! Please post comments and stay in touch. Together we can work to bring to the forefront the rich history of America's China Marines in postwar China.

No comments: