My Dad the U.S. China Marine

My Dad the U.S. China Marine

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Home for the Summer 2014: Taking the Next Step

After the success of the first-ever Summer History Education Hawaii Conference this past June 13-15, I decided to return to my home in Greenwich, Connecticut. It's good to be home.

Originally, my plans were to take me back to Singapore until August 29. I've recently made a decision to have my business, The Pacific Learning Consortium, Inc., listed and open in the Lion City. Singapore is one of my favorite places in the world to visit. I've always wanted to do business there -and I am determined to do so.

However, some unexpected things have happened since mid-June. I was invited to participate in Greenwich's Independence Day Association's July 4 celebration at the Town Hall. Descendants of the founder of the town are recognized, and my presence was requested. I had not been in Greenwich since November, 2013. I felt overdue for a visit, and I needed to take care of some business.

This trip to my ancestral home marks a change in direction for me.

I have given over 15 years of my time and efforts in Hawaii. While I am not severing all my ties to the islands I have called a second-home I feel a need to turn the page and write a new chapter. There's no better time than now to shift gears. The timing seems appropriate.

One of the projects I've decided to focus much more on is the one this blog site is most associated with. Earlier this year -and with the urging of a few of my followers- to turn the 'My Dad the U.S. China Marine' project into a series. An increasing number of other descendants of the postwar China Marines have contacted me after finding this site. Those who have been in touch have shared their own stories and memories of the years their fathers spent in duty with the U.S. Marines in Northeastern China. So, the mission of this project has taken on an enlarged dimension. It presents challenges and exciting possibilities.

I was recently reminded that September 9, 2015 marks the 70th anniversary of the surrender in Tianjin of the Japanese Empire to China. My father was there. The China Marine fathers of many others were there, too. A few have suggested we be there next year.

July 18, 2015 also marks the 375th year of the founding of Greenwich, Connecticut. In 1990 I was very active and a co-chair of the 350th year celebrations. It was exhausting and fun -and a few have asked me to be in Greenwich next July. I certainly plan on it!

My business, The Pacific Learning Consortium, will require me to be in Hawaii and elsewhere. Right now I am leading my team in a first-year assessment of the firm, making changes and decisions about our future directions.

I've been asked to speak to the Japan Society of Fairfield County, Connecticut in August. In addition, I just received an invitation to return here in November to address the China Institute of New York. I've accepted.

So, for the next 6-12 months my efforts will be to bringing the publication my father had in mind to fruition before he died over four years ago. I will be doing fundraising though crowdsourcing, and as such your donations will be greatly appreciated.

I will be in town until August 28 as I am due back in Honolulu on the 29th. I expect to be in Hawaii until September 26.

No comments: